Jul 27, 2008

Committed to keeping Tucson on the go.



The National Geographic Adventure magazine has named Tucson one of the top 5 bike friendly cities in the US. But I remember that Tucson has been on many lists for being bike friendly. The Tucson department of Transportation's website says
"Our vision is to inspire people to get out of their cars and onto the street. "
The city has come a long way with "The City Cycle Bike-Sharing Program that offers City of Tucson employees an easy and healthy option for traveling to appointments. Three-speed KHS Manhattan Green bikes, helmets, locks and other safety equipment are available for use at designated check out locations. The bikes can also be used for wellness rides."

With valet parking for bike riders at special events, and 475 miles of striped bike lanes in Tucson Metropolitan Region, a down loadable bike & trail map, a city bike/pedestrian coordinator, sunny weather most of the year, Tucson remains on my list for a future re-location. I'm aware of the horrendous traffic problems at certain times, (Tucson has no cross town freeways), but I managed quite well walking and biking during my years living there.

Unfortunately I gave my chrome-moly Schwinn Supersport (30+yrs) away before coming back to California and I am itching for a new bike, most likely a folding bicycle;I'm on a personal campaign to down size and simplify my life.

No comments: